Germany Headlines Examiner

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Learning German: Instant Immersion German

One of the things that I've noticed about Tokio Hotel fans is that a love for the band has inspired people to learn the German language, which as a former language major I find gratifying. So as many of you know, I've started doing German language lessons on my Examiner.com page in response to requests from my readers to do so. On these pages, you'll find other language helpers like books I recommend, reviews of some of my favorite language acquistion software and other helpful info.

The first item that I would recommend that helped me a lot as I was learning the German language--I'm just like you--not a native German speaker who wanted to learn the language--was playing German related language games. My favorite to this day is the "Instant Immersion German" CD software set. It comes with quite a few games and a simple dictionary. There are plenty of pictures of the items in question to help you form some of those visual mental ties involved with language.



My favorite game in the package is the "Who is Oscar Lake?" game. It's a detective game that centers around stolen diamonds and a man named Oscar Lake. What's really cool is the game is actually practical. It teaches you--without being boring--what vocabulary to use when you're traveling by train, how to use the phone, how to buy a ticket, checking in a hotel and much more. I played this game many times when I should have been doing my actual German homework in school. But I rationalized by saying that I was still learning the language. And you know what, in large part, I did.

Cheers,

Buffy

No comments:

Post a Comment